In discussions with friends about privacy and anonymity on the Internet, there are always the same answers:
- If you have nothing to fear, you do not have to protect yourself!
- With encryption, we create a way for terrorists and criminals to face the law.
- We can not do anything against surveillance anyway.
And many other statements, have brought me more often to think.
Privacy: But why should you protect yourself?
Companies collect data about us.
The most common surveillance comes from companies on the Internet. Google, Yahoo, Yandex, Facebook etc. but also rather unknown companies like: OWA, Xaxis, Ad spirit, eBuzzing etc. continuously collect data about us. They are integrated into websites in order to provide website operators with analyzes or statistics on visitor numbers and their interest, or in order to be able to place more targeted advertising. The tried and tested sentence has been valid for a long time: "Only targeted advertising brings something."
That may well be true, because Google is very popular, also because it does not simply distribute advertising with the watering can, but rather coordinates it with user behavior or its interests. As a result, advertising is often not perceived as such, but some internet users even find these circuits to be helpful support by showing you information or products that match current interests. Free VPN also like to work with companies and authorities here. For this reason, caution is advised which service to choose! We have the free VPNAn article has already been written.
So far, this may all be true and the success also shows that the search engines or advertising networks are absolutely right. But what about your own privacy? What if we don't like it when we follow “foreign” companies and want to find out more and more about us? What if we deviate from our actual interests and are interested in other things on the Internet? How does this affect how companies perceive us as individuals? What do we miss when we only get a guided look at the world, with others making choices for us? Do we really want the stranger to have more knowledge about us than we would share with our neighbors?
It's a beautiful and stained view of things we get on the internet.
Secret services collect data about us.
Edward Snowden's documents have shown us all that we are constantly being monitored and spied on. Every single one of us all! Why is this happening? It may be a misconception by intelligence agencies that the information you collect may also help you gain insight. This has never been the case, but it makes sense to use the data you have not only for counter-terrorism purposes.
There are also geopolitical and economic advantages that can result from this. In interaction with a propaganda that we could never escape, it is optimized by the knowledge gained about individuals and groups of people, adapted like Google's advertising, so that it becomes even more targeted. The information you and I receive every day via various German media is already tailored to our thinking and wishes, and it is clear that there are also organizations that benefit if we think as it was planned.
Does that sound like a conspiracy theory to one or the other? From a rational point of view, however, it would be extremely improbable if it were otherwise! It cannot be assumed that the really big and powerful corporations around the world do NOT care what we think and that they would leave it to chance what we see. It was like that in the Vietnam War, in the Cold War, when it came to declaring “socialism” an enemy image, and so it is even more developed today. We get the news and reports that are targeted for us!
It is a wrong view that is presented to us, focused precisely on our thinking, with the aim of manipulation.
Governments collect data about us.
Why our own governments want to collect data about us can be seen very well in Turkey, Poland, Hungary or other countries like Estonia, Lithuania etc. these are all “western states” that we would call “friends”, but in all of these countries individuals are being deprived of rights.
In Turkey journalists and intellectuals who are critical of the government are arrested. In Hungary Opposition advocates will be made worse economically, fictitious procedures will be conducted to exclude them even after subsidies etc. In Lithuania “Non-citizens” are kept away from elections and offices even though they make up 30% of the population.
Whenever these begin to organize and can also be tracked via electronic media, the executive and state propaganda machines intervene and destroy the reputation or ideas behind it. And the move from “persecuting hate speeches” to stigmatizing unwelcome people is only a very “small one”. Within weeks, the situation in other western countries can change dramatically, as long as this is necessary to keep the power of some elites (and they exist in Germany).
One could do something against one's own government, but as this is often supported by international partners, the people are then more powerless!
Some might now assume that we are powerless against all these facts. Of course you can say that, and in many ways it is difficult to do something about it, but it can not and must not be impossible!
What can you do about it?
- Do not avoid discussions about itbut also do it in the family, with friends or in the workplace. Take it true, around you, like companies, Western propaganda or even your own government try to get to know you, manipulate and how some even abolish lies or civil rights. They are seemingly small signals that you will recognize but they then change your perspective significantly.
Protect your privacy!
- Use the possibilities you haveto make it as difficult as possible for companies, intelligence agencies and also your own government to monitor and control your privacy, your interests, your communication or simply your opinion.
- Use one VPN- Service on any device and all the time, because your activities should remain as “private” as possible!
- Surf the internet and block trackers and always log out of the websites after using them (Google, Facebook, Yahoo etc.)
- Do not read media that you want to manipulate. When you realize that a medium reports unilaterally or asks leading questions to tell you. Stop reading it! Permanent.
- Stop “Believing” Others - Form your own opinion.
- Supported organizations that are trying to change something and enable us to have more freedom and open opinions in the future. The money that you save because you no longer consume unnecessary propaganda media, invest it or simply make your contribution to “enable freedom and justice WITHOUT propaganda!
- Never let yourself be pressurized. Most Offers that are free of charge and promise you more convenience (free programs, online services, etc.) finance yourself by using your data. Therefore, carefully consider whether the benefits for you and your privacy also take this into account.
What is the reward for protecting my privacy?
If you expect that you will find a job faster then. Your partner will therefore be more attentive to you every day. The next tax statement will give you a credit.
Then you will be disappointed.
But as an individual and as part of the collective in your circle of friends, your country, your continent and even worldwide, you will make a difference. Our children will continue to choose what they want to live and not be forced to do by others. You will escape problems by not being put under general suspicion.
You will be able to react faster to changes and you will save a lot of valuable time by no longer believing everyone and everything. All of us together will not simply be able to be “passed out ourselves”.